VAT Relief Information

You do not have to pay VAT on specific goods and services in the UK if you are disabled or have a long-term illness. This is because they are aimed to be of practical help to you due to your disability or long-term illness.


When claiming VAT relief against any product from us, you will need to fill out our VAT relief declaration form. It's really easy and simple to fill out, you just have to state your condition to us or registered charity number.


If you are unable to buy our products yourself, you can always get someone else to purchase the item for you including your guardian, wife/husband and parent. You still won't be charged VAT.


If you're unsure as to whether you can claim VAT relief against our products, there are two organisations you can contact: HRMC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 or Notice 701/7 for disabled people. Alternatively, please give Pro Rider Mobility a call on 01604 813428 and we would be happy to help.


What classes as a long-term illness or disabled?

You can claim VAT relief if you are disabled or have a long-term illness if you have any of the following, as stated under the VAT Act 1994:


  • You are terminally ill.
  • You have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as severe arthritis.
  • You have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • If you do not have any of the above and elderly but able-bodied, you do not quality for VAT relief. Similarly you are not exempt if you're temporarily disabled or incapacitated.


What counts as personal or domestic use?

Products that are sold for personal or domestic use means that they are supplied for your own personal use, rather than for business purposes.